Family Law Attorney in Utah
Frequently Asked Questions Specialized Representation Tailored to Your Goals

Divorce & Family Law FAQ

Answers from Our Salt Lake County Attorneys

Changes in relationships are some of the most stressful situations a person can face. At Eric M. Swinyard & Associates, PLLC, we can help you navigate through life’s challenges with a strong grip on the law.

Answers to family law questions depend on your own precise set of factors, so the information you read here does not constitute legal advice. That said, we encourage you to use this FAQ to orient and inform yourself. Below are answers to common family law questions – everything from declaring your paternity (fatherhood) of a child to ending a marriage in Utah.

If you still have questions, do not hesitate to contact us online or call (801) 515-4133.

Do unmarried parents have the same legal rights as married ones?

Marriage makes a big legal difference. When a married couple has a child, both partners are legally acknowledged as the child’s parents. The married mother and father have equal responsibilities and rights as parents.

When parents are not married, in contrast, the mother has full rights and responsibilities, but the father does not. Paternity — the fact that the mother’s partner is the biological father — has to be legally established first, and only then does the father officially take on the rights and responsibilities of parenthood.

If I’m not married, how do I legally establish myself as the father of my child?

File a Voluntary Declaration of Paternity (known as a VDP) with the Department of Health. You may obtain the VDP form at the hospital where your child was born, at a local health department office, or at the Office of Vital Records and Statistics.

Can I be asked to supply proof that I am or am not a child's father?

Yes. If you as a possible father refuse to submit to genetic testing freely, the judge has the authority to order you to undergo testing in a paternity case.

Either parent may file a paternity case in court, asking a judge to declare that a specific person is a child’s father. When making this determination, the judge can issue related decisions about child support, custody, and parenting time (visitation).

I’m afraid my girlfriend will put my child up for adoption. What are my rights?

If you, the unmarried biological father, believe that the child’s mother may want to put the child up for adoption, you should establish yourself as legally entitled to a notice of any adoption proceedings.

To protect your rights and interests as a parent, you will need to file a paternity action. Seek legal counsel to avoid missing critical steps or jeopardizing your rights.

If I adopt, will I be in the same position as a biological parent?

Yes. Adoption formalizes the bond between a child and the adoptive parent. The result is a legal relationship that is the full equivalent of biological parenthood.

The Utah Adoption Act sets forth all requirements for a legally sound adoption, and our Salt Lake County family lawyers can help you navigate the process.

What are the steps for getting a divorce in Utah?

The divorce process in Utah starts with a Complaint for Divorce, filed with the District Court in the Utah county where you have lived for at least three months. The court will set a hearing date for your case.

You need not prove anything to get divorced. The Complaint for Divorce in a no-fault filing declares “irreconcilable differences” between the two parties. Most couples file for a no-fault divorce as it is simpler, more efficient, and less intrusive than a court case attempting to prove fault.

How long does it take to get a divorce in Utah?

Some couples can agree on the division of assets and child custody terms. That enables them to move quickly through the divorce.

If the marriage partners can agree on a fair way to divide their assets and if they don’t have children, a divorce can be completed within weeks. If the divorce is not contested, the judge will meet with the parties, go over the filings, and promptly issue the divorce decree.

What if we disagree on the terms of the divorce?

An agreement is not always easy and straightforward. It’s common to rely on a judge to resolve various disputes. In that case, attorneys for both parties will present their cases to the judge in an effort to receive what their clients want. Difficult cases in which the parties wrangle over child custody and property division can take as long as two years, although Utah lawmakers implemented provisions in 2018 to speed up the average time.

Are there any structured alternatives that enable the divorcing parties to hash out these disputes ourselves?

Yes. Utah has designed a collaborative divorce provision in which the lawyers for both sides deliberately work to achieve an agreement through mediation, and Utah Attorney Eric Swinyard will be able to explore that possibility with you if you request it.

No matter which route you take to the next stage of your life, we will work tirelessly to expedite the process and keep your costs down where possible by pointing out where and how an agreement can be reached.

What if my spouse asks me to leave?

Generally, if there is no temporary restraining order, you do not need to leave your home. Your grounds to stay are especially firm if you’re not the one filing for divorce but instead are suddenly taken aback by a demand to move out.

Do hire a Utah divorce attorney. If your spouse demands a divorce and wants you to leave the home, an attorney’s advice is vital. It can keep you cool-headed and help you make legally informed decisions on your living arrangements as well as actions to take to strengthen your position.

Am I giving up my property rights if I leave to keep the peace?

You are not giving up any claim to the house by leaving, but you are also not free from the legal responsibilities to pay the rent or mortgage loan. Keep up your payments and the court will decide later whether you must continue paying after your divorce is final. Much will depend on your income.

Once you leave the home, it may be very difficult to return to retrieve important records. Be sure you have your personal documents. Additionally, create documentation on the spot. Write down what your spouse says while the statements are fresh in your memory. Date your notes. Make it as easy as possible for yourself to confidently explain later what unfolded and led to the Complaint for Divorce.

Will I qualify for (or have to pay) spousal support?

In many cases, one spouse will come away from the marriage with stronger earning potential than the other spouse. Especially at the end of a long marriage, and when there are children involved who require support, the higher earner will likely be called upon to support the other spouse.

Unless the couple agrees on the terms of spousal support, Utah law directs the court to consider many factors when ordering alimony payments in Utah.

What factors will the court consider when deciding on the terms of alimony?

The court considers:

  • Whether the person who seeks support is losing a source of income through the divorce because, for example, the two were business partners
  • Whether the person who seeks support paid for or otherwise enabled the other spouse to undertake education during the marriage
  • Other factors that affect the fairness of spousal support. Note that the best interest of the minor children, if any, will always lead the court’s priorities.

How long must alimony in Utah be paid?

Generally, the responsibility to pay spousal support does not continue beyond the length of time the couple spent married.

In Utah, spousal support will also end upon the death or remarriage of the recipient, or upon the recipient’s cohabitation with a new partner.

If we divorce, could I lose the right to raise my young children?

The court will determine how decisions and time with the children will be divided between you both. Can you come to an agreement on these terms? A judge will accept the parents’ agreement as long as it is in their child’s best interest.

If you cannot agree, then custody becomes a matter for the judge to decide, taking into consideration:

  • The way each parent has interacted with the children to date, and how dependent the children are on each parent
  • Who is more likely to put the children’s best interests first — including sharing the children’s time
  • Each parent’s willingness to shield the child from any conflict between the parents
  • Whether a child’s overall well-being will benefit most from joint custody
  • Where each parent will live after the divorce
  • The wishes of the child, if the child is capable and old enough to weigh in reasonably

What is the difference between joint and sole physical custody of a child?

“Joint physical custody” describes a typical situation in which each of the parents legally gets to spend at least 111 nights with their child. This joint solution does not always mean both people have equal shares of parenting time.

“Sole physical custody” means one parent is entitled to 254 nights with the child. To be awarded the desired custody plan, a parent must show the court a number of overlapping factors, such as keeping relationships between siblings intact and offering a stable, nourishing environment for the child. Note that a court is likely to put a strong emphasis on which parent had been the child’s primary caregiver throughout the marriage.

What does having legal custody of a child mean?

Legal custody is the power of a parent to access information and contribute to decision-making in the child’s spiritual upbringing, schooling and cultural activities, and medical care. Of course, minor decisions about the child’s food, clothing, transportation, and so forth generally need to be made by whichever parent is caring for a child on a given day. In the event of disagreement on any of these things, big or small, the parent may turn to a dispute resolution provision included in their custody plan.

Utah law favors joint legal custody, as it usually serves the child’s best interests.

What if I think I have grounds for an annulment?

For religious or personal reasons, some people might prefer to nullify a marriage. Within an annulment proceeding, just as in a divorce, a Utah judge can order spousal support, child support, child custody, visitation time, and the division of assets. The law permits annulment of a marriage that occurred when one spouse already had an existing marriage to another person, or if one marriage partner married while underage.

Utah law sets forth several further reasons for granting an annulment, such as a serious misrepresentation regarding an issue related to marriage, or a spouse’s refusal to have sexual relations. Annulments are not easily granted. An attorney can tell you if your petition would be viable.

Is legal counsel necessary in every case?

Having an attorney involved, even if you both agree on all terms, will ensure that the divisions of assets and responsibilities are equitable and that the divorce adheres to every relevant provision in Utah divorce law. Should one of the ex-spouses or any family member raise any issues later, you’ll have the peace of mind to know you have acted according to the law in all ways.

To learn more about your rights and options in your particular case, call Eric M. Swinyard & Associates, PLLC at (801) 515-4133.


Real Clients. Real Results. 
  • Gavin S.

    Eric did an awesome job.

  • Mallory H.

    I would definitely refer them to others for any legal needs!

  • Amy Lee

    He is very prompt with his responses to emails and phone calls which makes the process less stressful.

  • Dalisa

    This was all so stress free. I’m extremely great full for Preston and his staff for putting forth all the time to help me out!

  • Bart

    Highly recommend Eric and Preston without reservation. Their fees are more than reasonable and their service more than expected.

  • Nicolle G.

    I have had an absolutely positive experience through and through with them. They’re professional, empathetic, and ethical. I wish ...

  • Thomas M.

    He handled all matters promptly and thoroughly. He cares deeply about his clients and makes sure their needs are fully understood.

  • Jared H.

    All issues were handled in a very timely and transparent manner.

  • Bethany

    He and his office were conscientious about my financial needs and made sure I knew when charges were going to be made, so it ...

  • Logan

    I couldn’t be more pleased with the results and would definitely recommend Eric to anyone looking for a fantastic lawyer and a ...

  • Sean K.

    Working with Eric was a breeze. He addressed my concerns and laid out several options that were unique to my situation.

  • Robin S.

    If it wasn't for Eric and Preston, I wouldn't have gotten custody of my 2 children.

Meet Our Team

Professional. Confident. Approachable.
  • Eric M. Swinyard Photo
    Eric M. Swinyard

    Founding Attorney

    Eric M. Swinyard is a divorce and family law attorney who serves clients throughout the State of Utah. Eric’s practice is primarily focused on providing personalized, high-quality legal services to individuals involved in divorces, paternity actions, adoptions, estate planning, and other family law matters. It’s incredibly easy to be taken advantage of during litigation, especially if you are unrepresented by legal counsel. Protect Your Rights You don’t want to be in a situation where you need ...
  • Ryan  Ficklin Photo
    Ryan Ficklin


    Ryan Ficklin is an associate attorney at Eric M. Swinyard & Associates, PLLC. Prior to practicing law in Utah, Ryan practiced family law in Southern California. In 2017, Ryan relocated back to his home state of Utah to focus on serving the people of Utah who need legal representation, particularly in the family law realm. Ryan graduated with honors from California’s Whittier Law School in May of 2015. While in law school, Ryan was a staff member for The Journal of Child and Family Advocacy. Ryan ...
  • Keith L. Johnson Photo
    Keith L. Johnson


    Keith joined Eric M. Swinyard & Associates in Fall 2020, bringing more than a decade of experience as a trial attorney in various types of legal cases. He has successfully guided hundreds of individuals through Utah’s court system. Keith previously worked at an established civil litigation firm in Salt Lake as well as a mid-sized regional law firm. He has substantive experience in a variety of practice areas and is now primarily devoted to serving individuals involved in family law cases. Keith ...
  • Mark  Hales Photo
    Mark Hales


    Mark Hales has over 17 years of legal experience in the areas of family, criminal, and civil law. He handles all types of domestic matters, including custody, divorce, child support, alimony, annulment, termination of parental rights, paternity, modifications, and adoptions. In addition, he defends clients charged with domestic violence and abuse, stalking, violations of protective orders, and other and criminal charges. Mark is a certified mediator for all legal matters and is also a certified ...
  • Justin  Stringfellow Photo
    Justin Stringfellow


    Justin Stringfellow has practiced family law in Utah for 20 years, bringing a wealth of experience to Eric Swinyard & Associates in areas such as divorce, custody, paternity, modifications, child support, and adoption proceedings. In the early years of his career, Justin appeared on an estimated 1,500 Protective Order matters. He is an expert in dealing with abuse and domestic violence components in family law matters. As such, he was distinguished by Utah's Domestic Violence Coalition. Justin ...
  • Eliza  Crespo Photo
    Eliza Crespo


    Eliza Crespo is an associate attorney at Eric Swinyard & Associates. Prior to joining the firm, Eliza practiced estate planning in Utah. Eliza offers a fresh set of eyes to difficult situations and is passionate about providing excellent and compassionate legal services to her clients. Through personal experience, she appreciates the impact of a listening ear and an effective advocate, especially during times of challenge or transition. Eliza obtained her bachelor’s degree and law degree from ...

Experience the Difference

  • Experienced

    The right attorney makes all the difference. Our attorneys are experienced, transparent and dedicated to your goals.

  • 30-Min Consultation

    We understand that you have questions, our Firm will provide you with a 30-minute no-obligation consultation with an Attorney.

  • Preparation

    Family Law matters are complex; we ensure that all of our clients are thoroughly educated and prepared along the way.

  • Personalized Approach

    No two cases are the same. Our Approach is tailored specifically to your goals.

Dedicated to Providing Personalized, High Quality Services

Take advantage of a 30-minute, no-obligation consultation by calling 801-515-4133 or completing the form in the link below.