Alimony Modification

Alimony Modification Attorneys in Salt Lake County

Learn How to Adjust or Terminate Alimony Payments

Do you feel you’re paying more than your fair share in alimony? Are you looking to change the terms of your alimony agreement? Not sure how to navigate the legalities of the entire process?

At Eric M. Swinyard & Associates, PLLC in South Jordan, our Salt Lake County alimony modification attorneys understand the financial devastation caused by unbalanced payouts. We work to help clients understand their rights as they relate to monetary obligations for an ex-spouse.

Contact us online or call (801) 515-4133 to discuss your case during a consultation.

How Is Alimony Established?

Utah law allows either party to request alimony. The courts review each party’s financial situation and consider various factors when awarding alimony.

Courts might consider:

  • Any outstanding debts
  • Their earning capacity
  • How long the marriage lasted
  • If they have primary custody of any children
  • Whether one spouse helped pay for education expenses or skills training for the other party
  • Any fault contributing to the breakup of the marriage

Alimony is intended to help the other spouse support themselves after a divorce. Sometimes the courts order payments before completing the divorce process. Judges establish payments based on your earning capacity at the time.

Can Alimony Be Changed after Divorce?

You may end up in a situation where you’re not earning as much as before.

Life changes affecting your ability to pay alimony could include:

  • Battling a chronic illness
  • Receiving a critical injury affecting your ability to work
  • Having your salary reduced at your job
  • Being terminated from your place of employment
  • Retiring from your job

Any of the above would be grounds for modifying alimony in Utah. Our Salt Lake County alimony modification lawyers can walk you through the process of gathering the paperwork needed to prove your case.

Sometimes it’s the spouse receiving benefits who see a change in their lifestyle. That could include:

  • Living with a new partner
  • Taking a job paying them more money
  • Receiving some sort of inheritance

Terminating Alimony Payments

Alimony can be terminated when an ex-partner remarries or passes away. Your financial responsibility also ends if they start living with someone else.

Don’t just stop paying alimony if you realize a spouse has moved in with another person. You still need to go before a judge and show them evidence of this. The same goes for any other changes in your former partner’s financial situation.

Work with an Attorney to Modify or Terminate Alimony

You risk being penalized by the courts if you stop payments on your own without going through the right channels. It helps to get solid legal advice from an alimony modification attorney in Salt Lake County or Utah County when you’re looking to modify or terminate support payments.

At Eric M. Swinyard & Associates, PLLC, we know what the courts expect when it comes to evidence. Some situations require you to make your case by a given deadline. We’ll make sure you get everything you need in front of your judge on time.

Contact us online or call (801) 515-4133 to request a consultation.

I have had an absolutely positive experience through and through with them. They’re professional, empathetic, and ethical. I wish I could give more than 5 stars.

Nicolle G.
Our Values Experience the Difference
  • Experienced
    The right attorney makes all the difference. Our attorneys are experienced, transparent and dedicated to your goals.
  • 30-Min Consultation
    We understand that you have questions, our Firm will provide you with a 30-minute no-obligation consultation with an Attorney.
  • Preparation
    Family Law matters are complex; we ensure that all of our clients are thoroughly educated and prepared along the way.
  • Personalized Approach
    No two cases are the same. Our Approach is tailored specifically to your goals.
30-Minute, No Obligation Consultation Contact Our Firm

We offer the results-driven counsel you are seeking, serving clients with poise and compassion every step of the way. Call (801) 515-4133 now or complete the form below to get started with a consultation.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy